Experience 2-5 years
Qualifications Bachelor’s Degree
Job ID: 15059
Job Category: Finance, Accounting & Purchasing
Division & Section: Corporate Real Estate Management, Real Estate Property Management
Work Location: Metro Hall, 55 John Street, Toronto
Job Type & Duration: Full-time, Temporary Vacancy, 2 Years
Hourly Rate and Wage Grade: $39.52 – $43.28, TF0112, Wage Grade 12
Shift Information: Monday to Friday, 35 Hours per week
Affiliation: L79 Full-time
Number of Positions Open: 1
Posting Period: 23-APR-2021 to 07-MAY-2021
To perform accounting duties pertaining to property leases, tax reconciliations, rental payments of leases, rent roll reconciliations, accounts receivable for various property tenants, payables, purchasing, internal control and in researching, analyzing and reconciling to general ledger, ensures compliance with established corporate policies, procedures and practices.
- Performs accounting duties such as reviewing, researching, analyzing and reconciling ledger accounts, setting up and maintaining expenditures and revenue working papers, spreadsheets and reconciliation to general ledger for a portfolio of properties.
- Prepares the monthly divisional financial statements and other financial information for city divisions, provincial and federal level of government.
- Prepares and calculates subsidy claims and other ad hoc financial and statistical reports to the Provincial and Federal Government.
- Prepares and maintains accounts payable and accounts receivable functions for reconciliations, preparing, reviewing, posting and reconciling journals entries.
- Researches and analyzes financial information. Prepares various financial statements and expenditure reports i.e. capital expenditure reports, variance reports, property reports, Council initiated special projects expenditure reports.
- Reviews financial system reports, i.e., variance, cost center, miscellaneous accounts. Makes comments or corrections as necessary.
- Analyze and reconciles account balances. Prepares, reviews, and posts journal entries.
- Coordinates projects and assignments i.e. external lease audits and audit queries.
- Directs accounting staff and provides training, advice and guidance as needed.
- Provides assistance on accounting & financial related matters to the divisions.
- Provides financial analysis, claims and other information to the Divisions as requested.
- Prepares other ad hoc financial and statistical reports for analysis purposes and to Senior Management as well as other levels of Government as required.
- Ensures internal controls for petty cash are maintained in accordance with City By-Laws and policies.
- Co-ordinates with the City, Provincial and Federal Auditors
- Prepares working papers for year-end closing.
- Prepares financial reports to determine annual Common Area Maintenance (CAM) costs for properties, and prepares monthly aging analysis for a portfolio of leases.
- Prepares tenant recovery reconciliations, annual statement of recoverable operating costs and realty taxes.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Post-secondary education in an accounting, finance or business program, or the equivalent combination of education and/or and related experience in an accounting/financial environment.
- Considerable experience in the analysis and reconciliation of ledger accounts and financial statement preparation.
- Considerable commercial and residential real estate accounting experience.
- Considerable experience using Microsoft Office (Excel) and financial information systems (i.e. SAP, RFMS, etc.).
You must also have:
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Advanced knowledge of current accounting procedures and techniques pertaining to the function.
- Demonstrated knowledge in using Property Accounting Software, Microsoft Office Applications and ERP systems.
- Ability to prepare detailed correspondence, memoranda, summaries, financial statements, and documentation requiring the interpretation and application of a wide range of administrative accounting practices.
- Ability to perform complex detailed computation and calculations.
- Ability to work under time constraints and to meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to plan, organize and manage work independently with minimal supervision and cooperatively as a member of a team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, presentation and interpersonal skills, with the ability to interact with and communicate effectively at all levels of the organization, as well as with external partners.
- Strong interpersonal skills and client related focus with the ability to communicate and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of staff, divisional, operations, management, agencies and the public.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills and the ability to deploy these skills through participation on project teams to meet deliverables.
- Ability to exercise discretion, judgement and work independently, with a high degree of initiative and creativity.
- Ability to support the Toronto Public Service values to ensure a culture that champions equity, diversity and respectful workplaces.
NOTE TO INTERNAL FULL-TIME AND PART-TIME CITY OF TORONTO EMPLOYEES:
City of Toronto employees must apply to full-time or part-time employment opportunities posted on the City’s Internal Job Posting Portal.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion:
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve. Learn more about the City’s commitment to employment equity.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request. Learn more about the City’s Hiring Policies and Accommodation Process.
How to Apply:
For more information on these and other opportunities with the City of Toronto, visit us online at https://jobs.toronto.ca/jobsatcity/. To apply online, submit your resume, quoting Job ID #15059, by May 7, 2020.