Experience 2-5 years
Qualifications Bachelor’s Degree
Why you’ll love working here:
- You’re making an impact by helping to deliver on our Pension Promise
- World-class Defined Benefit pension plan
- 100% company paid Extended Health and Dental benefits for permanent for employees
- Business casual dress code
- Annual wellness reimbursement program for health & wellness-related expenses for permanent employees
- Virtual fitness, yoga and meditation classes, nutritionist consultations, and wellness seminars
- Following the advice of Canadian health authorities, we have implemented a work-from-home policy for our employees, to mitigate the risk of the potential spread of COVID-19 and support social distancing.
HOOPP Real Estate manages the pension fund’s real estate investments and owns over 50 million square feet of office, retail, industrial and multi-residential properties in approximately 200 locations in Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom and Western Europe. We are a team of 18 dynamic investment professionals working in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment who pride ourselves on the adept management of a complex portfolio, the diligent execution of innovative deals, and providing consistent competitive long-term risk-adjusted returns. HOOPP Real Estate has a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion, sustainability and fighting climate change through our award-winning ESG program.
Reporting to the Manager, Real Estate Analysis and Technology, the Analyst will be accountable for ensuring that Real Estate Investment Management portfolio reporting is accurate and complete on a monthly basis, and that new investment deals are properly onboarded and reflected in the portfolio forecasting application and all subsequent reporting, enabling better decision making and risk management by HOOPP’s real estate portfolio management team.
This new role will also support the continued innovation and integration of new technologies/applications, data sets, processes and reporting that HOOPP’s real estate team is implementing to drive superior insights, and better real estate returns. The ideal candidate has a keen interest in real estate, technology, and driving insights with superior data and BI reporting tools. They are excited to learn about the latest technologies being used in this space and to bring their ideas to an open-minded team that is working to provide the best tools possible to the real estate investment team.
The Analyst will work primarily with individuals within Real Estate Investment Management, as well as with Real Estate Finance, Finance Business Solutions, and the Investment Solutions team.
Roles and Responsibilities
What you will do:
- Responsible for updating Taliance, the Real Estate Portfolio Forecasting application, with portfolio data, including forecasted acquisitions and dispositions; forecasted debt; ensuring monthly actuals are loaded; investigating issues and resolving as required; ensuring other data sources are updating as expected.
- Support the semi-annual forecasting process in Taliance by validating income-producing forecasts, loading, and validating fund forecasts, validating forecasting of properties under development, and troubleshooting any issues that may come up.
- Ensure that data for new investments is accurately reflected in Tableau reporting.
- Collect and verify the accuracy of data points and reporting inputs from investment partners and elsewhere as required for the portfolio. Abstracting or synthesizing key data points from loan, asset/property/development management, and limited partner agreements as required.
- Support the consolidation of reporting across development managers as required.
- Under the direction of others, using scenario analyses, stress-test, and complete sensitivity analysis to determine the impact of various risk scenarios, investment strategies and asset mix allocations on portfolio performance.
- As third-party applications (Argus, Taliance, Dealpath) expand their functionality, research whether the expanded functionality can help the real estate team and determine how it can be incorporated into existing processes.
- Support the report development in Tableau, including the initial report requirements, development of test cases, working with Finance-Business-Solutions to create the report; performing report testing and putting the report into production, and retesting modifications.
- Support the Portfolio Managers in the management of assets and risk analysis.
- Prepare other research reports and undertake additional analysis and projects as required.
- Support the implementation and integration of new technologies as required.
What you bring:
- Post-secondary education in a relevant discipline such as Business Administration, Finance, commercial appraisal highly recommended.
- 2 to 3 years of related analytical real estate experience with land, office, retail, industrial, multi-residential assets; real estate debt or developments.
- Advanced knowledge of all Microsoft Office applications, Argus Enterprise Software
- Experience with Tableau, Qlik, MS Power BI, business process improvement
- Strong analytical, problem solving and organizational skills, together with excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Strong understanding of real estate forecasting and valuations
- Strong competency in financial modelling and the ability to complete efficient and complex models in Excel or using other analytical tools
- Experience with portfolio forecasting, and an understanding of time-weighted vs money-weighted returns.
- Experience with international valuation methods would be an asset
- Experience working with IT teams, and writing software business requirements and test cases considered an asset
- Experience with Taliance, Cougar, Anaplan considered an asset
- Demonstrated ability to produce effective reports; ability to analyze and interpret complex data sets and large volumes of information
- Listens to and works well with others.
- Learns quickly, takes initiative, and works independently with minimal direction.
- Demonstrated thoroughness and attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tight deadlines; project management and quality assurance skills are a plus.
Notice for job applicants
Following the advice of Canadian health authorities, to mitigate the risk of potential spread of COVID-19 and support social distancing, all recruiting activities including interviews and new hire onboarding will be conducted online. While we are doing our best to ensure reasonable response times, please expect some delays during the recruiting process due to the current situation. Thank you for your patience and understanding during these challenging times.
For additional information on our adjusted recruitment process, please email us at email@example.com.
Established in 1960, the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP) is a multi-employer defined benefit pension plan for Ontario’s hospital and community-based healthcare sector. We serve more than 400,000 members who provide valued healthcare services at more than 610 employers across the province. At HOOPP, we exist to provide a stable and reliable pension for our members that starts in retirement and is paid for life. As one of Canada’s largest and most respected pension plans, HOOPP’s net assets reached $104 billion at the end of 2020 and our funded status remained strong and stable at 119%.
HOOPP’s core values – professional, accountable, collaborative, compassionate and trustworthy – guide our every interaction with our members, employers and employees. We’ve become one of Canada’s leading pension plans by consistently challenging ourselves and embracing innovation.
From our unique investment management approach to our innovative technology and thought-provoking research, we constantly seek to push the boundaries, and we do this by hiring passionate, forward-thinking people.
Our high-performance culture is founded on collaboration, respect and belonging. HOOPP is an equal opportunity employer and we’re proud of our diversity. We select applicants for employment solely on the basis of their qualifications. Should you require accommodation because of a disability during the recruitment and selection process, please contact our Human Resources team. We will be happy to consult with you so that arrangements can be made for reasonable accommodation.