Experience 5-10 years
Qualifications Bachelor’s Degree
This new Manager role will support the Director in continuing to evolve the Operational Risk Management program for the Finance Division. This role will be responsible for promoting a strong risk culture by identifying and collaborating with business partners to mitigate key operational risks in the Finance Division. The Manager will support the execution of key Operational Risk programs in the Finance Division and using their expertise and best practices, will develop, recommend, and collaborate in implementing program enhancements. The role requires strong knowledge of Operational Risk programs, strong communication skills, and the ability to interact with all levels and employees across the Finance Division.
The level of complexity and the speed of change within the Finance Division has increased and will continue to do so as the Finance Division continues to evolve to support the various functions across the organization. As a result, there is a need for an experienced operational risk professional with investment / capital markets experience to provide the necessary leadership and oversight to support the Finance Division.
As the Finance Division expands its Governance function and as HOOPP develops the Risk Division, the Operational Risk Management (ORM) program for the Finance Division continues to expand. This role will report to the Director, who leads the ORM program for the Finance Division. The ORM program will serve as an umbrella for various risk programs such as operational readiness for new products / strategies, vendor risk management, data and records retention, data classification and business continuity management.
The new Manager role will provide the requisite leadership and expertise. This involves working with the Director in designing the program, defining strategy, setting guidelines, and the design, implementation, and maintenance of Finance’s Operational Risk framework. It also involves research and the sharing of ‘best practice’ principles to ensure consistent standards and practices are applied across the Finance Division. The role will require collaboration across the Finance Division, and to a lesser extent the Risk Division, to gain an understanding of key business and IT processes, to identify key operational risks and mitigating controls and to negotiate and manage remediation plans, as necessary.
What you will do:
- Contribute to the design, development, implementation, documentation, and maintenance of a fulsome Operational Risk Management program for the Finance Division. Design and development activities will be performed in close collaboration with the new Risk Division.
- Support the Director in managing existing operational risk activities and programs for the Finance Division, such as Operational Readiness for New Products and Strategies, Third Party Risk Management, Data Classification, Data and Records Retention, Business Continuity Management and the Finance Division Scorecard. Identify opportunities to design and implement enhancements to these existing operational risk activities and programs.
- Identify new operational risk activities, as required by Finance, and make recommendations on the design, development, implementation, and maintenance of these activities to the Director.
- Support the Director in managing the implementation of new first-generation Operational Risk programs for Finance, such as Operational Event Reporting, Scenario Analysis, Risk and Control Self Assessments, and Key Risk Indicators.
- Foster an enhanced compliance and risk culture by acting as an ambassador for the Operational Risk Management program in Finance.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders across the Finance Division. Obtain and maintain a strong understanding of operational processes, risks and controls across Finance and offer operational risk advice and guidance.
- Identify areas of dependencies and risks amongst the various Finance departments and provide advice and develop plans to mitigate the risk to the Finance Division.
- Leverage industry best-practices and expertise on areas of controls and risk, along with business knowledge, to provide support to the Finance Division. This will be achieved by identifying potential areas of vulnerability and risk and working with the process owners to develop corrective action plans.
- Support Finance initiatives as a leader in the design of operational controls to mitigate risks.
- Support Finance in the review and evaluation of operational controls for system implementations.
- Lead initiatives for the identification, assessment and documentation of operational controls, risks and gaps and make recommendations to the Director.
- Establish documentation standards and provide leadership on the creation and maintenance of detailed operational controls documentation.
- Support the Director in the preparation of periodic reports with recommendations for Senior Management.
- Develop and facilitate education sessions to allow stakeholders to develop an understanding of the design and implementation of operational controls for their area.
- Conduct research and share internal and external ‘best practice’ principles to ensure consistent standards and practices are applied across the Finance Division.
- Stay abreast of industry developments, innovations and best practices and assess the applicability and impact to Finance.
- Participate in pension plan peer group meetings.
What you bring:
- Autonomous and highly motivated with the ability to multi-task productively and to work independently, as well as collaboratively in a team environment; share information, support colleagues and encourage participation
- Ability to establish and maintain strong effective working relationships at all levels and influence people from different levels of the organization
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to think critically, innovate and drive change
- Ability to learn new concepts and drive strategic direction
- Strong business acumen and broad-based business skills which include but are not limited to project management, ability to grasp strategy, governance, compliance, and systems
- Attention to detail while maintaining a big picture view of issues
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to work concurrently on multiple assignments under pressure and meet conflicting deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to present issues of varying complexity to a wide variety of audiences effectively
- At least 8-10 years of progressive experience in the Finance and / or Investment industries and a minimum of 8 – 10 years of experience in operational risk.
- Experience in Audit and/or consulting experience in a public accounting firm is preferred
- In-depth industry knowledge of the COSO framework and “best-practices” for operational controls
- In-depth knowledge of instrument products, including fixed income, public and private equity, derivatives, real estate, and related processes (including investment accounting, investment operations, P&L, and risk reporting)
- Knowledge of the pension industry and associated processes and controls (including pension payroll and contributions)
- Proven ability to independently identify, understand, document, and monitor operational controls, critically assess the effectiveness of operational controls, and make recommendations for improvement to support back office, middle office, and finance functions
- Proven ability and strong knowledge in vendor management and business continuity management
- Proven ability to think critically and desire to innovate, drive change, and challenge the status quo
- Strong service orientation and proven ability to meet concurrent deadlines in an environment of multiple priorities.
- Demonstrated capability in interacting with auditors
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision
- University Degree in business / finance / commerce
- CPA designation: CPA, CA is preferred
Notice for job applicants
Following the advice of Canadian health authorities, to mitigate the risk of potential spread of COVID-19 and support social distancing, all recruiting activities including interviews and new hire onboarding will be conducted online. While we are doing our best to ensure reasonable response times, please expect some delays during the recruiting process due to the current situation. Thank you for your patience and understanding during these challenging times.
For additional information on our adjusted recruitment process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.