Career Level Others
Experience 2-5 years
Qualifications Master’s Degree
Consideration will be given to qualified internal full-time academic and partial-load employees first in accordance with the Collective Agreement requirements.
Professor, Cloud Computing
Sheridan is looking for an outstanding individual to join our faculty team in the School of Applied Computing to teach in our highly recognized and widely acclaimed Computer Science and Information Systems programs. The successful candidate will have a proven theoretical and practical background in Cloud Computing that demonstrates their ability to teach, develop and use cloud services to connect and leverage IoT devices in mobile and traditional software systems. The candidate will teach courses in Cloud Infrastructure, Cloud Security, Distributed and Parallel Computing and the Internet of Things. Additionally, the candidate will be able to supervise undergraduate student research and participate actively in curriculum development.
The successful candidate will focus on teaching courses in the Honors Bachelor of Computer Science program as well as other programs as needed in the School of Applied Computing and will also lead and/or contribute to program and curriculum development. With the increased focus on undergraduate research delivered within curriculum, candidates will also have the opportunity to participate in applied research roles, in the Center for Mobile Innovation (CMI) as well as other Applied Research Centers at Sheridan College.
What You’ll be Doing
Sheridan faculty provide academic leadership to programs and courses within their areas of expertise and contribute to the creation of a learning-centered environment where students can develop to their full potential. They also contribute to College, School and program excellence by leading and/or collaborating on a variety of initiatives such as new program development, applied research and alternative delivery strategies.
- Ensuring that program and course curricula are current, relevant, and reflective of best practices within the relevant professional/program disciplines;
- Defining, evaluating, and validating learning outcomes for courses and programs;
- Creating an effective learning environment for applied as well as digital learning which accommodates students’ diverse cultural and educational backgrounds, experiences and learning styles;
- Designing appropriate strategies and tools for facilitating and assessing student learning that are innovative and reflective of best practices in teaching and learning;
- Developing appropriate strategies and tools to assess student performance that are consistent with the learning outcomes of the course;
- Developing online materials, alternative delivery and collaboration strategies, and incorporating appropriate educational technologies into the applied learning process;
- Ensuring that students are aware of course and program learning outcomes and evaluation techniques;
- Providing individual learning assistance, academic advisement, and evaluation of student progress/achievement within assigned courses.
You are committed to excellence in teaching and learning within a collaborative team environment.
You have a demonstrated ability to convey the conceptual and applied aspects of knowledge to a broad range of students.
You value participating in and creating safe, brave, and inclusive environments at work and in the community and want to be a part of a culture where we strive to take actions to ensure no one is left behind.
The successful candidate will also meet the following qualifications:
- Master’s degree required in Computer Science or a related field of study (Ph.D. preferred);
- Minimum 3 years of relevant industry experience required; A combination of industry experience and applied research will be considered;
- Advanced experience using one or more cloud platforms; AWS (Amazon Web Services), Google Cloud Platform (GCP) or Microsoft Azure.
- Demonstrated expertise in the area of Cloud (IaaS, PaaS, SaaS), specifically in constructing architectures using available cloud components.
- Experience in supervising undergraduate Capstone and Thesis in Computer Science and undergraduate applied research projects preferred;
- Experience in teaching and curriculum development at the post-secondary level or equivalent experience as a trainer in business or industry preferred;
- Strong network of contacts with other professionals, organizations, and employers.
Who We Are:
“Every member of the Sheridan community is passionate about the transformational role we play in people’s lives. Our strategic plan, Sheridan 2024: Galvanizing Education for a Complex World (https://sheridan2024.sheridancollege.ca/), charts a path towards a new ground-breaking model of higher education that reshapes post-secondary education and better prepares students for the future. We are committed to demonstrably advancing equity, diversity and inclusivity. Diversity is our strength and fuels our commitment to excellence. Across our campuses, we’re making meaningful strides towards developing an equitable and inclusive community”.
- For more information, visit: Why Work at Sheridan
Campus Location: Trafalgar (may be assigned activities at any Sheridan campus) once normal campus operations resume. Currently the position may be assigned teaching on-campus and virtual delivery mode.
Employee Group: Academic
Hours: Professors may teach between the hours of 8:00am and 10:00pm
Start Date: January 2022
Salary Range: $66,555 – $115,378 (based on relevant educational qualifications and experience)
Application Deadline: October 22, 2021
Sheridan is deeply committed to promoting diversity, advancing equity and fostering a culture of inclusion. Therefore, we invite applications from marginalized and equity-seeking groups. Persons with a disability may contact the Human Resources department to request accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process.
You may be asked to provide copies of your educational credentials at the time of interview. Upon hire, we require official confirmation of educational credentials and Canadian equivalency assessments, if applicable.