Experience 5-10 years
Qualifications Bachelor’s Degree
Why you’ll love working here:
- You’re making an impact by helping to deliver on our Pension Promise
- World class Defined Benefit pension plan
- 100% company paid Extended Health and Dental benefits for permanent for employees
- Business casual dress code
- Annual wellness reimbursement program for health & wellness-related expenses for permanent employees
- Virtual fitness, yoga and meditation classes, nutritionist consultations and wellness seminars
- Following the advice of Canadian health authorities, we have implemented a work-from-home policy for our employees, to mitigate the risk of potential spread of COVID-19 and support social distancing.
HOOPP’s Credit Group is comprised of a team of ten professionals that invest across a wide spectrum of credit strategies and instruments. Strategies range from constructing single name portfolios (long and short), index arbitrage, hedging, macro relative value, structured products, securitization and some deep dive single name exposures at various points on the capital structure. If you are looking for an opportunity to gain exposure to a wide array of credit products and credit strategies, then you should consider this opportunity. As part of HOOPP’s Credit Group, the Single Name Credit Group is looking to add a Senior Associate as business continues to grow.
What you will do:
Reporting to and working closely with the Portfolio Managers of High Yield and Investment Grade, the Senior Associate will perform the following duties:
- Accountable for identifying trade ideas and/or investment opportunities in high yield or investment grade corporate credits across bonds, CDS and loans; analyzing and preparing reviews of investment opportunities, and ultimately making recommendations to the Portfolio Manager(s)
- Actively follow the market to analyze single name credits on an ongoing basis and in the new issue market with the objective of making well thought-out, actionable investment recommendations in a timely manner. This should include assessment of risk and whether there is appropriate compensation for taking that risk.
- For larger strategic holdings, perform deep dive analysis, assist in the structuring, execution and monitoring of investment deals and transactions
- Monitor portfolio holdings, ensuring performance meets expectations and recommending appropriate follow up trades
- Ability to “go anywhere” across the spectrum of industries is key; but able to specialize in one or two sectors across the credit spectrum, providing industry insights, identifying appropriate positioning (longs and shorts) and assessing relative value
- Follow market themes and generate trade ideas to capitalize accordingly through single name or basket trades.
What you bring:
- Completion of a University degree in Commerce, Finance, Engineering, Computer Science or Math
- Progress towards a relevant professional designation is an asset
- 5 years of experience in credit analysis, ideally in US corporates
- 5 years of experience in identifying and reviewing investment opportunities and preparing recommendations
- Proficiency in financial modelling and capital structure analysis, with specialization in one or two large sectors
- Previous experience working in a bank, hedge fund or asset manager is essential
- Well versed in analyzing fundamentals for high yield and/or investment grade corporates
- Proven experience in relative value analysis and identifying attractive longs and shorts
- Well acquainted with Bloomberg tools and Excel
- Positive, energetic and enthusiastic attitude
- Excellent knowledge about capital markets (fixed income, credit, etc.), with a passion for investing
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
Notice for job applicants
Following the advice of Canadian health authorities, to mitigate the risk of potential spread of COVID-19 and support social distancing, all recruiting activities including interviews and new hire onboarding will be conducted online. While we are doing our best to ensure reasonable response times, please expect some delays during the recruiting process due to the current situation. Thank you for your patience and understanding during these challenging times.
For additional information on our adjusted recruitment process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Established in 1960, the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP) is a multi-employer defined benefit pension plan for Ontario’s hospital and community-based healthcare sector. We serve more than 400,000 members who provide valued healthcare services at more than 610 employers across the province. At HOOPP, we exist to provide a stable and reliable pension for our members that starts in retirement and is paid for life. As one of Canada’s largest and most respected pension plans, HOOPP’s net assets reached $104 billion at the end of 2020 and our funded status remained strong and stable at 119%.
HOOPP’s core values – professional, accountable, collaborative, compassionate and trustworthy – guide our every interaction with our members, employers and employees. We’ve become one of Canada’s leading pension plans by consistently challenging ourselves and embracing innovation.
From our unique investment management approach to our innovative technology and thought-provoking research, we constantly seek to push the boundaries, and we do this by hiring passionate, forward-thinking people.
Our high-performance culture is founded on collaboration, respect and belonging. HOOPP is an equal opportunity employer and we’re proud of our diversity. We select applicants for employment solely on the basis of their qualifications. Should you require accommodation because of a disability during the recruitment and selection process, please contact our Human Resources team. We will be happy to consult with you so that arrangements can be made for reasonable accommodation.