Experience 5-10 years
Qualifications Bachelor’s Degree
Why you’ll love working here:
- high-performance, people-focused culture
- our commitment that equity, diversity and inclusion are fundamental to our work environment and business success, which helps employees feel valued and empowered to be their authentic selves
- learning and development initiatives, including workshops, Speaker Series events and access to LinkedIn Learning, that support employees’ career growth
- competitive, 100% company-paid extended health and dental benefits for permanent employees with recent additions to promote inclusive coverage to a diverse employee population. These recent additions include gender affirmation and fertility drug and treatment coverage
- membership in HOOPP’s world class defined benefit pension plan, which can serve as an important part of your retirement security
- access to an annual wellness reimbursement program for health and wellness-related expenses for permanent employees
- virtual fitness, yoga and meditation classes, nutritional consultations and wellness seminars
- we offer a hybrid flexible work model that embraces remote work in Ontario for eligible roles
- the opportunity to make a difference and help take care of those who care for us, by providing a financially secure retirement for Ontario healthcare workers
The role is to provide financial risk analytics for HOOPP’s derivatives, fixed income, equities, and alternative investments, and to implement risk models.
What you will do:
- Conduct a variety of risk-related quantitative and qualitative analyses.
- Make sound and balanced decisions on complicated risk metrics calculation issues and provide expertise to ensure that risk of HOOPP’s investments are accurately measured and that HOOPP is not exposed to undue risk.
- Research and provide recommendations on risk metrics with respect to HOOPP’s derivatives, fixed income, equity, and alternative investments. This includes providing written and verbal recommendations and in-depth analytical reports.
- Maintain and enhance current risk management best practices and changes in the operating landscape.
- Developing risk solutions using creativity and innovation. Candidate should demonstrate resilience, resourcefulness, negotiation savvy and diplomacy.
- Designing, prototyping and calibrating risk models for multiple asset classes and refining existing models that are currently being used.
- Learn about market structure and strategy of derivatives, fixed income, equities, and alternative investment within the portfolio.
- Participate in every phase of the development life cycle. Have regular interaction with a wide range of stakeholders across, risk, finance, investment management and I.T. departments.
- Carry out various projects that impact HOOPP’s risk management practices.
- Leading projects that consist of identifying key risks and controls, evaluating the effectiveness and adequacy of risk metrics calculation on position, strategy, asset class, and total fund level.
What you bring:
- A commitment to demonstrating HOOPP values.
- Extensive hands-on experience in researching, developing and implementing quantitative models for measuring, monitoring and analyzing risk.
- Advanced theoretical and specialization knowledge of a broad range of risk models used within a financial institution.
- In depth knowledge and background in financial instruments, financial engineering and modeling and derivative pricing.
- Working knowledge of programming language (e.g. Python, R, Java, C, or C++)
- Strong knowledge and hands-on experience in analyzing large amount of data using SQL, Python, or R.
- Working knowledge and working experience in VaR/ES, stressed VaR/ES, stress testing, and scenario generation.
- Knowledge and working experience in Liquidity Risk is an asset.
- Knowledge and working experience in Counterparty Credit Risk is an asset.
- Knowledge and working experience in pension liability management is an asset.
- Experience in implementing vendor risk system, e.g. Aladdin, Barra, or SunGard is an asset.
- Strong problem-solving skills, the ability to research issues, analyzes problems, synthesize information, and make recommendations.
- Intellectual curiosity and a passion for technology.
- Desire to learn in a highly collaborative environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment, while also taking ownership of projects independently with minimal supervision.
- Advanced degree (Masters) in Finance, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering, Economics or other quantitative field and a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Designation, e.g., CFA, FRM, or PRM, is an asset.
Notice for job applicants:
Following the advice of Canadian health authorities, to mitigate the risk of potential spread of COVID-19 and support social distancing, all recruiting activities including interviews and new hire onboarding will be conducted online. While we are doing our best to ensure reasonable response times, please expect some delays during the recruiting process due to the current situation. Thank you for your patience and understanding during these challenging times.
For additional information on our adjusted recruitment process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Established in 1960, the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP) is a multi-employer defined benefit pension plan for Ontario’s hospital and community-based healthcare sector. We serve more than 400,000 members who provide valued healthcare services at more than 610 employers across the province. At HOOPP, we exist to provide a stable and reliable pension for our members that starts in retirement and is paid for life. As one of Canada’s largest and most respected pension plans, HOOPP’s net assets reached $104 billion at the end of 2020 and our funded status remained strong and stable at 119%.
HOOPP’s core values – professional, accountable, collaborative, compassionate and trustworthy – guide our every interaction with our members, employers and employees. We’ve become one of Canada’s leading pension plans by consistently challenging ourselves and embracing innovation. From our unique investment management approach to our innovative technology and thought-provoking research, we constantly seek to push the boundaries, and we do this by hiring passionate, forward-thinking people.
Our high-performance culture is founded on collaboration, respect and belonging. HOOPP is an equal opportunity employer and we’re proud of our diversity. We select applicants for employment solely on the basis of their qualifications. Should you require accommodation because of a disability during the recruitment and selection process, please contact our Human Resources team. We will be happy to consult with you so that arrangements can be made for reasonable accommodation.